Zucchini And Cheddar Cheese Soup
From "The Wilson Farm Country Cookbook," by Lynne C. Wilson, Addison-Wesley
By MARIALISA CALTA
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/3 cup chopped celery
- 5 cups unpeeled, sliced zucchini (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 cup light cream or milk
- 1 cup lightly packed, grated, medium-sharp cheddar cheese
- Place 2 cups of the broth, the onion, celery, zucchini, salt and pepper in a 3- or 4-quart saucepan. Cover and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer, covered, for 25 minutes.
- Puree in small batches in a blender or food processor and set aside in the saucepan.
- In a 2-quart saucepan, melt the butter. Add the flour. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute over medium heat. Remove from heat. Add the cream and the remaining 1/2 cup of broth. Return to heat and cook, stirring, until the mixture thickens and comes to a boil, about 4 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Add the cheese and stir to melt. Add to the pureed vegetables. Correct seasonings. Heat gently before serving.
- Six servings
- I love this recipe! It is so good and it uses so much of that abundant garden zucchini. I also added bacon and some cooked potatoes to it, it turned out even better.